Pages

23 March 2010

Neighbours Poll - Who Is Your Favourite 1980s Character?

In the wake of the 25th anniversary of the Neighbours soap, we'd like to find our readers' favourite 1980s character from Ramsay Street. Was it good old Helen Daniels (Anne Haddy), a talented artist, businesswoman, homemaker and provider of good advice and a friendly ear for all those in trouble?

What about fussy Harold Bishop (Ian Smith) or his lovely wife Madge Mitchell/Ramsay/Bishop (Anne Charleston)? Poor Madge had certainly been through the mill with her awful first husband, Fred, and troubled off-spring, Charlene (Kylie Minogue) and Henry (Craig McLachlan). Perhaps young Henry or Charlene (she should be so lucky) was your '80s favourite Ramsay Street resident? Or what about Bouncer, the lovable Labrador, with his famous dream sequence?


Mrs Mangel (Vivean Gray), always ready to stick her beak in where it wasn't wanted, is fondly remembered, as is her gloriously batty pal, Eileen Clarke (Myra De Groot), mother of Des (Paul Keane).

Des, of course, was the local bank manager and husband of sensible and good-hearted ex-stripper Daphne (Elaine Smith).


All these and more were pure Neighbours gold in the mid-to-late 1980s.

So, eyes right to our poll and vote away - make sure that your Erinsborough '80s favourite gets the recognition he/she deserves...

13 comments:

Oillo said...

I LOVED Daph!

Anonymous said...

Madge - definitely!

Anonymous said...

I recall the story with Helen Daniels going to the Bungle Bungles and falling in love with Frank Darcy.

Hissie said...

Tony Romeo - not the greatest '80s Neighbours character, but lovely to look at!

Miche said...

Gail Robinson. Epitomising the 80s with her big hair and shoulder pads, chunky jewellery and her marriage of convenience. Go Gail!

Maria said...

Melanie. It must be Melanie. I remember her doing a stint as Lassiters secretary in the late '80s. She wore huge shoulder pads (mind you, so did Gail, Helen and even Madge!) and stunned Paul and Helen with her awesome laugh.

Mind you, Shane Ramsay, with his mullet and speedos on that diving board in 1985 was also a strong contender for my '80s favourite! WHEW!!

Anonymous said...

Joe Mangel. He was not sexy, but was kind and funny.

Kerry said...

Charlene used to wear huge shoulder pads, too. I think even hunky Henry had a jacket with them in.

My fave character of the '80s is... I don't know.

I'll have to think about it and come back later.

Anonymous said...

I remember Helen Daniels, the Bungle Bungles and Frank Darcy too. He had an eye patch!

Lisa said...

I had to vote for Jason as Scott - "Too Many Broken Hearts In This World". When I was 14 he was my one true love.

Phil said...

Eileen I think. Lovely, although barking mad. Myra de Groot was so clever and it was tragedy she die so young. Dr Beverly 1 was also good.

Anonymous said...

Daphne!

I cried when she died. :-(

Drew said...

So did I!